Tuesday, August 31, 2010

commitment crisis.


So...remember a few weeks back when I said I was going to start raising questions? And some of these questions might be a little uncomfortable or seem combative? (Well, if I left out that last part, I'm saying it now.) I've been asking this question for a long time...

"What is the deal with those in the 18-30 age range and commitment?"

Now look, before I launch into this let me say that I do believe I work with some incredible young adults. And, I do believe that most of them are ahead of the pack and shouldn't be lumped in with a 'culture of convenience'. They work full-time jobs. Or they're full-time students. And they find time to serve at this church one or five nights a week. They lead small groups. Lead worship. Lead youth. Lead events. And they're like the sunset - consistent.

However, I have been alarmed by the trends of church-hopping and consumeristic worship among this age group. If "I don't get something out of it, it's not for me". I am relieved to find that many people are becoming aware of the crisis of commitment. Those responsible, self-motivated, handle-my-own-life sort of young adults are a minority right now. And they live in a culture that bathes them in consumerism, individualism and entitlement. One student, when asked what church he attended, said, "I attend church in my bedroom. I put on worship music and sing along to that and then I listen to a podcast sermon." Couldn't be more contradictory to what the Biblical Church should be.

Many are avoiding life decisions using perpetual schooling or "learning" experiences: "I don't know what I want to do with my life so I think I'll travel for a while." "I can't pay rent until I find a job I really, really like. I'll just stay with mom and dad." "I can't decide I want to marry you until I know our relationship will be fool-proof. Let's just move in together for a while."

(Disclaimer: there's nothing wrong with travel. Or education. Or multi-generational homes. Relax...)

Young adults are crazy about community. They love being together and they yearn for closeness and partners for their life journey. But so many fail to realize community cannot really exist apart from commitment. And neither can true intimacy or fulfillment in relationships.

So how do we teach faithfulness and commitment in a culture where both are unnecessary and cumbersome? The Church has always been God's channel of hope, power and truth to the world. And she has stood counter-culturally through the ages. But how does she teach truth and lead people toward Jesus when they're too busy (or self-focused) to really hear any message?

No comments: