Thursday, July 1, 2010

family update.

This morning as I drove through McDonald's and picked up some breakfast for the office crew, I had plenty of time to observe those dining inside (in other words, it was the slowest line of my life but I took the opportunity to stare at strangers because I love staring at strangers). It's Winter Haven on a Thursday morning so most of those enjoying their coffee and hashbrowns could be my grandparents. 

As I observed each booth, I honed in on one particular lady. (This is a hallmark of people-watching:  you find the most interesting individual and then observe them for as long as possible without them noticing.) She was absolutely beautiful. And, frankly, she looked a bit too metropolitan-chic to be sitting in our McDonald's! 

Her gray hair was swept back, with a thin black headband holding it in place. Thick-framed glasses rested on her nose. She had on a black, boat-neck, three-quarter sleeve shirt and white pants. Striking jewelry. And, with perfectly French-tipped nails, she held her cell phone to her ear and communicated what she saw on her laptop screen to the person on the other end of the line. She smiled widely. She laughed. She pointed to the screen and adamantly asserted her point of view. 

I was fully entertained. And then, it washed over me. "This is just how Gramma was a few years ago. This is just how she'd be if..." 

Cancer has no respect for plans or the norms of our lives. I had to allow myself just a moment to get angry, then sad. And then, again, submit everything to God:  what was, what is, what might have been, what will be. 

This morning very early, my all-too-stubborn Grandmother boarded a plane for Hawaii to visit her grandson. She's determined to do just what she'd be doing if cancer weren't in the picture. (And more, since it seems time is drawing shorter.) Though she's had to obtain fluid through IV's because of fierce dehydration and needed blood transfusions because she's just getting weaker, a Hawaiian vacation seemed to be just the ticket. 

Each "bye" when we get off the phone is more heartfelt, heart-breaking. But I know, in the midst of this, my family is learning things about God, about each other, that we otherwise would have lacked. 

My brother, sister-in-law, and two nephews are keeping mom and dad company for the next couple of weeks and they're thoroughly enjoying each other. So, all-in-all, things are swell on the Arizona front! But I miss them.

This is Gramma visiting James in Hawaii in 2008. One of my favorites...

2 comments:

MW said...

No she did not just fly to Hawaii... :) That woman is my hero... fo sho! Never met her. Love her dearly. Praying for each of you!

Sheri Hawley said...

I can't wait to read your book, Amanda Bock (Fill-in Married Name Here)! It will be a page turner and this blog is perfect for building up to that. Love You!