Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dear Harbour (enjoy the randomly interspersed pics)


Last night the leadership team of our young adults group sat around my table to celebrate two years together! It really does seem like half-a-hot-second ago when we sat around thinking about what we'd do if our church ever started a Young Adults Ministry. And here we are. That's a definite cause for celebration!

When I asked the team what they wanted to do, I expected a trip to the local tourist Mecca, Orlando. Or at least a night out in the hopping metropolis of Lakeland. Or even just dinner and a movie. But, of these riveting options, they chose to come cook dinner and sit in my tiny apartment. "Really? Well alright then. See you tomorrow at 6."

I love how they love each other. I love that they're comfortable together without the mindless distractions so many others need to relate.


My favorite part of the evening? We really didn't talk about church - at all. We laughed (most of the time with, but sometimes at each other). We ate. We shared secrets about our lives with God. There was a clandestine acknowledgment of the weight of our journeys' secrets. We all carry them. And here, in my little 600-sq.-foot apartment, we can let them out a little at a time and know that brothers and sisters will help...not hurt.


It has been incredible to watch each of us grow through these two years. In a generation that demands everyone "get real," I'm perhaps sinfully proud to say these guys are. Real. I thought about the things we've been through together that have brought us to this place: People coming and going. Hearts being broken and then put back together. The loss of loved ones. The anticipation of dreams fulfilled or once-in-a-lifetime love found. The genuine celebrations of life's biggest and "smallest" accomplishments. The struggle of putting adolescence to rest (sort of :) and embracing maturity. And I love that they've chosen to walk this path together. Nobody gets left behind.

Everyone should have friends like this...

1 comment:

Kristen said...

This touched my heart immensely. I am so thankful that the Lord gave me the opportunity to take part in this wonderful ministry. As Chris and I drove home from the anniversary celebration, we sat in silence for awhile until I chimed in, "I'm really going to miss this. These are our friends, this is our family. This is a safe place." It's amazing to me that, although he has only been attending for a fraction of the time that I have, he felt the exact same way and with the same urgency. Everyone should have friends like this.