Wednesday, February 10, 2010

c o l d


It's freezing in Florida today. Not even kidding. Ok, well, maybe not 32 degrees freezing. But 49 is close enough for me. 

I think about my family and friends in West Virginia. It's 17 degrees (though it feels like 4). And they're buried under about 2 feet of snow. (I bucked this picture above from my friend Erika's FB - if you haven't met her, you probably should make a point of it because she's absolutely incredible). 

I used to walk to our bus stop in that weather as a kid. A little cold, but not intolerable. And played all day in the snow on the weekends. Moving to Florida has changed things for me. And in so many ways. 

Isn't it funny how we adapt? How we become a part of where we are? Eight years ago, 55 degrees was a beautiful spring day worthy of a t-shirt and perhaps a light jacket. As it stands now, when our office temp drops below 72, I need a sweater on and a heater under my desk. Life has a way of beckoning us to fit our surroundings. And today, I'm reminded why it's so important with what and whom I choose to surround myself...


No comments: